- Expertise in knowledge and teaching of instrumental music
- Experience as a band director (preferred) demonstrating the capability of preparing the band for musical performance
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with band committees as well as with musicians with a variety of talents and skill levels.
- Public speaking skills to interact with the audience at performances, if the director is also conducting performances
REPORTS TO: Calysto Steelband Executive
Responsible for developing, coordinating, and directing the band’s music program. Trains and rehearses members of the musical group and conducts performances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preside as main director over the musical program, demonstrating a strong, dynamic presence as a leader
- Inspire and lead musicians into delivering creative performances, building on their knowledge base and challenging them to do more advanced pieces of music.
- Lead rehearsals and (preferably) performances
- Guide musicians through music scores with interpretations of tone, tempo, phrasing, dynamics and other musical elements, making effective use of rehearsal time
- Consider relevant factors such as ensemble size and abilities, scores, musical variety, and audience, in order to deliver interesting, relevant, and varied concerts
- Position members within groups to obtain balance among instrumental sections.
- Select and adapt musical works for the group, or to create a particular musical style.
- Expand and enhance the breadth and depth of the band’s repertoire in collaboration with the Music Committee
- Work with the Equipment Coordinator, Secretary, and Tuner to ensure necessary equipment and supplies are approved for purchase, ordered, and well maintained
- In conjunction with members, establish long-range objectives and the strategies to achieve them.
- passion, insight, musical talent, willingness to be challenged and play “outside the box”
- strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- flexibility to respond to member needs, abilities and ideas, as well as client requests
- weekly rehearsals - Mondays, 7-9pm
- wide variety of indoor/outdoor gigs; 1-4 hours long; various times of day & week; 10-15 each year
- loading and unloading of equipment before and after gigs (could be optional)
- fun loving and cooperative group of individuals
This is a paid position (final to be negotiated).